Santa Fe Chicken Heroes Recipe
My son, Jeffrey, discovered this recipe and shared it with me because he knows I'm also fond of easy and tasty meals from the grill. The Southwestern seasonings make the sandwiches spicy and very flavorful.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 French or Italian rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- Salsa or picante sauce, optional
- 1. Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thickness. Rub both sides with oil. Combine seasonings; sprinkle on both sides of chicken.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Brush rolls with butter; grill or broil just until toasted. Place lettuce, tomato and chicken on rolls; top with salsa or picante sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without lettuce and tomato) equals 322 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 494 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC