Santa Fe Chicken Heroes Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 French or Italian rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- Salsa or picante sauce, optional
- 1. Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thickness. Rub both sides with oil. Combine seasonings; sprinkle on both sides of chicken.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Brush rolls with butter; grill or broil just until toasted. Place lettuce, tomato and chicken on rolls; top with salsa or picante sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without lettuce and tomato) equals 322 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 494 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.