Santa Fe Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender.
- 2. Add broth, salsa and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Place chicken over rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, turning chicken halfway.
- 3. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup rice: 462 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 814mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Reviews for Santa Fe Chicken and Rice
"Such a great and easy meal. I used coconut oil instead of butter and skipped the cheese. Really good meal."
"This is really good! I have to triple or quadruple the recipe to feed a family, but it always turns out very well. I usually have to add a little extra water."