Santa Fe Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add broth and salsa; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and garlic powder. Place chicken over rice; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Turn chicken over; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup rice equals 462 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 814 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.