Santa Fe Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in broth, salsa and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Place chicken over rice; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- 2. Turn over chicken; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Remove from heat.
- 3. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup rice equals 462 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 814 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.