- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Add broth, salsa and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Place chicken breasts over rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, turning chicken halfway.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 2 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Santa Fe Chicken and Rice
Sort By :
"This recipe is easy and quick to prepare. The rice is as good as the salsa you use. I used black bean and corn salsa...delicious!"
"This recipe was so delicious and easy. I really enjoyed the flavor of the chicken and the rice. I was concerned about using salsa in this dish, but it was really good."
"An EXCELLENT meal. This meal along with a salad makes a filling, healthy meal."