- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add broth and salsa; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and garlic powder. Place chicken over rice; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Santa Fe Chicken and Rice
Sort By :
"This recipe is easy and quick to prepare. The rice is as good as the salsa you use. I used black bean and corn salsa...delicious!"
"This recipe was so delicious and easy. I really enjoyed the flavor of the chicken and the rice. I was concerned about using salsa in this dish, but it was really good."
"An EXCELLENT meal. This meal along with a salad makes a filling, healthy meal."