- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion and jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in rice.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and cumin; place over rice mixture. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Santa Fe Chicken
Sort By :
I make this recipe often. I prefer dicing the chicken into bite size pieces so it is easier for my children to eat. I also add a can of black beans and a cup of corn.
Amazingly delish! I'm doing low carb, so I skipped the rice and the tomatos. Since, there was no rice, I used about half the chicken stock. I replaced the tomatos with bell peppers just so I'm eating more than just chicken, lol. It was REALLY good! Having the chicken soak up all the stock made it extra juicy! This is going to be a go to while on my low carb diet!
I count 8 plus points with the cheese and 5 plus points without the cheese. So, I am going to make it and not put cheese on my portion. Just an idea!
This recipe is a little spicy for my daughters and I, but my husband and son-in-law love it which makes it a good meal to leave them when we have "Girls Night Out"
Made this for my boyfriend he loved it! Has a nice kick to it, making it again tonight