- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Sandy's Chocolate Cake
"This is absolutely the BEST chocolate cake I have ever had. It is totally worth the effort. Thank you so much for sharing!"
"Everyone in my family agreed this was the best cake they'd ever had. I made just a few adjustments. I added in a tsp each of espresso powder and cinnamon and I just made a simple ganache frosting because I was out of powdered sugar. Will make again and again!"
"Any idea on how many cups of batter this makes?"
"This is an amazingly moist cake. And the icing is the easiest icing I've ever worked with. I did sub the sour cream for cream cheese but it turned out phenomenal. Definitely the ultimate chocolate cake."
"I agree with others. This is THE perfect chocolate cake and my new go-to recipe for birthday and other special occasions. I've never had good luck with layer cakes but this one worked perfectly. First time I forgot to add water (love the idea of using coffee instead of water) but it still turned out fine. Second time the batter at the bottom of the bowl did not get mixed well and it STILL turned out okay. Each time I spread raspberry preserves between layers and on top prior to frosting. Love the silky smooth frosting. Then I made genache and poured it over the top--so rich and yummy. Can't wait to make another one!!!"
"I baked mine in a Bundt pan omitting the icing. It is the BEST chocolate cake recipe I've ever tried."
"WOW... what can I say. Pulled out my cake from the oven about 3 hours ago and there is nothing left... DELICIOUS.... I did do a slight change. Instead of plain boiling water I used fresh brewed coffee.... Got to go, making another one.... thanks."
"Hi just wondering if I can use buttermilk instead of sour cream in this receipe ?? Very keen to try this chocolate cake version"
"Came out perfectly . A very delicious chocolate cake , however not too happy with frosting and may put some cream cheese or something to it the next time."
"Perfect. Light and Fluffy"