- 2 loaves (1 pound each) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 12 to 14 thin slices dill pickle
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out top and bottom of loaves, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, onions, mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce; spread over cut sides of bread. Layer with ham and roast beef on bottom and top halves; place pickles on bottom halves. Gently press halves together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into 1-1/2-in. slices. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Sandwich for a Crowd
"I've made this recipe for two different groups and was a huge hit both times. I made the sandwiches the night before, which is a great time saver, and sliced when ready to serve. We really enjoy this wonderful sandwich!"
"I have been making this sandwitch for years and years. I have even passed it along to family and everyone loves it. I have two children and both can be picky eaters and they both love it. Great to make ahead for late night baseball games and football games the kids have. I would recommend leaving the pickles off until ready to eat. It can make the bread a little soggy. My husband got excited when I mentioned making this tomorrow night for dinner."
"This sandwich is a favorite of my family, and I have been making since I came across this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine years ago. Left-overs keep very well and it actually tastes even better on day 2 and 3!"
"Was looking through a cookbook and found the cutout of this. Made this - or one exactly this- for Shelby's graduation in 1998!!"
"Best sandwich ever for parties."
"I have made this sandwich at least 30 times since it was published in 1998. The cream cheese layer adds so much flavor to a simple sub. Sometimes I cut it back to make a sandwich for 4, but I always used both ham and roast beef. That combo with the cream cheese layer is the best!"
"I have not tried it.... I have No diary husband, what would you suggest I use instead of the Cream Cheese??"
"This really is a good sandwich. The flavors together are very tasty."
"This is one of the best sandwich recipes ever! I've been making it for over 10 years and every time I've served it, people devour it. It's hard to believe that something so simple could be so tasty. I absolutely love this sandwich."
"This sandwich has been a favorite of our family since the June-July 1998 issue of TOH came out. We have 6 children, now ages 27-15, & every one of them chose this for their birthday meal for many years in a row. This year, it was chosen for our Christmas Eve meal! The only change I make to the recipe is to use french instead of Italian bread. So very good!"