Sandwich for a Crowd
My husband and I live on a 21-acre horse ranch and are pleased to invite friends to enjoy it with us. When entertaining, I rely on no-fuss make-ahead entrees like this satisfying sandwich.
-Helen Hougland, Spring Hill, Kansas
12-14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 12 to 14 thin slices dill pickle
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out top and bottom of
- loaves, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for
- another use).
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, onions, mayonnaise and
- Worcestershire sauce; spread over cut sides of bread. Layer with ham
- and roast beef on bottom and top halves; place pickles on bottom
- halves. Gently press halves together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into
- 1-1/2-in. slices. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 297 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,141 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.