Sandwich Bear Recipe
I created this fun sandwich for a picnic-style meal at a teddy bear theme baby shower. The cheerful, chubby bear is formed using a round bread and rolls filled with meats, cheese and a seasoned spread. When the guest of honor mentioned plans for a teddy theme in her nursery, I latched on to the idea for a gathering. -Susan Schuller, Brainerd, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 round loaf (10-inch diameter) unsliced bread
- 6 rolls (one 5 inches and five 3-1/2 inches)
- Leaf lettuce, optional
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 2 large pitted ripe olives
- 1. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Stir in the mayonnaise, mustard and onions. Slice bread and rolls one-third from the bottom of each. Carefully hollow out tops of bread and rolls, leaving a 1/2-in. shell.
- 2. Spread cream cheese mixture on cut sides; top with lettuce if desired. Fill loaf with ham and half of the cheddar cheese. Fill the rolls with turkey and remaining cheese. Replace all tops.
- 3. To assemble bear, place loaf on a large board. Place 5-in. roll on top for head and four small rolls for paws. Cut the remaining small roll in half for ears. Use one olive for nose. Cut remaining olive in half; secure with toothpicks for eyes. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC