Sandbakkelse (Sand Tarts) Recipe
"TRANSLATED from Norwegian, the name of these cookies is 'sand tarts'. They're most attractive if baked in authentic sandbakkelse molds, which can be purchased in a Scandinavian import shop. Most any decorative cookie mold will do, though, and the interesting shapes will make these tarts the focus of your cookie tray!" —Karen Hoylo, Duluth, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts. Blend in flour. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours or overnight. Using ungreased sandbakkelse molds, press about 1 tablespoon dough into each mold.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cookies appear set and just begin to brown around the edges. Cool for 2-3 minutes in molds. When cool to the touch, remove cookies from molds. To remove more easily, gently tap with a knife and carefully squeeze it. Yield: about 8 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 80 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC