- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. In a 1-qt. glass container, layer flour mixture, brown sugar, sugar, cocoa, chips and pecans. Cover and store in a cool dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 1 batch (about 4 cups total).
- To prepare brownies: Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, oil and vanilla. Add brownie mix; stir until blended.
- Spread into a greased 9-in.-square baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Sand Art Brownie Mix
Sort By :
"A friend gave me this last Christmas, and I just made them (9 months later). I don't know what went wrong with aw37's batch, but these were GREAT! Fudgy, chewy, perfect! As I always do, I substituted apple sauce for about 2/3 of the oil, and this is now my go-to brownie recipe. For Pammy1591, the sugar in mine was rock hard, too, but it breaks up easily enough--use a blender or food processor if you have to."
"This is a great recipe! It's one of the best brownies I've ever eaten and I've tried many over the years. To avoid that layer of brown sugar getting hard (the flour must have drawn moisture from that brown sugar), you might try making the brown sugar the top layer just under the chocolate chips, placing the brown sugar in a loose sandwich bag with a twist tie or zip lock, pressing it down to conform, then adding the chocolate chips over that. Also, for gifting, I just learned that placing a pretty cupcake paper cup over the lid, placing the jar ring over that, works great! There are great cupcake papers for every holiday, as well as colorful ones for no special occasion. I used to use fabric, but hated to waste it! I used snowflake cupcake papers for Christmas, had a couple of leftover jars, so changed them to Valentine cupcake papers for Valentine's Day. I also gave a few jars with a soup mix in them to a police officer I know during Christmas. He handed them out to families who just needed a lift in crisis moments. He said they LOVED them!"
"I made this for xmas gifts and it was ruined when they went to make it. The brown sugar was rock hard..is there a secret? I was so embarrassed and my family makes fun of me all the time now"
"Im an avid baker and wanted a good one bowl brownie mix for christmas gifts. I hate to be negative but was so disappointed in this recipe and want to warn others before they try. From my experience this recipe was not worth my time and energy. This was a really bland, bad cake if anything, definitely not a brownie. I would be embarrassed to give this as a gift."
"Before giving as a gift, I really wanted to actually try the brownies to see if it was worth giving! It turned out awesome! Fudgey Brownies! I am considering putting Christmas colored M&M's instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips to make the packaging a little more colorful! I made half with pecans and half without. We'll see what the kids and hubby think!"