San Jose Tortilla Pie Recipe
Because my husband is in the Navy, we've lived in many parts of the country and have had the great opportunity of trying different foods in each region. This is a family favorite served with fried potatoes and fruit.
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sliced ripe olives, optional
- Cut each tortilla into eight wedges. Saute a few at a time in hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in chili powder, oregano and cumin.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the tortilla wedges, meat mixture and cheese. Sprinkle chilies evenly over cheese. Top with the remaining meat and cheese. Tuck remaining tortilla wedges, point side up, around the edge of dish.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk and salt. Pour evenly over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Garnish with olives if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as San Jose Tortilla Pie in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p22
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for San Jose Tortilla Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >