San Antonio Special
I brought this recipe back with me after ordering it a San Antonio restaurant a number of years ago. Everyone enjoys the beef patties topped with salsa and chili.—Lila Schneider, Wichita, Kansas
8 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili without beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 block (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, cut into 8 slices
- Shape the beef into eight patties. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In
- a skillet, cook patties over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Transfer to a grease 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a
- sauce-pan, combine salsa, beans, chili and onion. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Pour over patties.
- Top each patty with a cheese slice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
For a quick side dish do serve with San Antonio Special, cook a 10-ounce package of frozen corn according to package directions, adding 1/4 cup chopped green pepper and 1/4 cup sweet red pepper. Serve in seeded green or red pepper halves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 453 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 36 g protein.