My soft, not-too-sweet chocolate cookies are filled with a heavenly cream filling. Kids of all ages devour them! Whenever my family comes to visit, these are the treats they always requests.—Salvatore Bertolino, Indiana, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream, coffee and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. In a large bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Add milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread 2 teaspoonfuls of filling on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Sam's Chocolate Sandwich Cookies in Taste of Home June/July 1999, p47
Reviews for Sam's Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 19, 2013
"Wonderful gobs!!! This will be my gob recipe from now on! Love them, thanks for the recipe!"