Saltine Toffee Recipe
"Easy to prepare using pantry staples, this recipe is always a hit," writes Jo Ann Dalrymple from Claremore, Oklahoma. Her sweetly unique bites start with saltine crackers and are drizzled with white chocolate for an elegant and easy accent.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 37 saltines cracker squares
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ounce white baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Place crackers in a single layer in a foil-lined 15-in. x -10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. In a large saucepan, bring butter and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Spread over crackers.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chips. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until chips begin to melt; spread chocolate evenly over top.
- 3. In a microwave, melt white chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over toffee. Chill for 15-20 minutes or until set; break into pieces. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
1 serving (2 pieces) equals 553 calories, 38 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 407 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC