Saltine Toffee Bark
Get ready for a new family favorite—like brittle, but better. Pack pieces of sweet-and-salty treasures in decorated cardboard gift tubes or recycled oatmeal containers wrapped with decorative paper (or use scraps of self-adhesive wallpaper). Trim with green pompom fringe. Make it fun by adding a bow made from newspaper. —Laura Cox, Brewster, Massachusetts
32 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 40 saltines
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) milk chocolate English toffee bits
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with heavy-duty foil.
- Arrange saltines in a single layer on foil; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in
- sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sugar
- is dissolved. Pour evenly over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until bubbly. Immediately
- sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chips to soften for a few
- minutes, then spread over top. Sprinkle with toffee bits. Cool.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 ounce equals 171 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.