Saltimbocca with Chicken Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, halved
- 16 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, cut a slit lengthwise through the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with prosciutto and two sage leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side; return all to the pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- Add wine to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in the sour cream, sugar and minced sage; heat through (do not boil). Serve with chicken and rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Saltimbocca with Chicken(4)
Sort By :
This was very good, my husband and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't have fresh sage, so I used ground sage. It still had wonderful flavor, will definitely make this again!
The sauce had a nice flavor. The sage was a bit strong, and it took a while to make since my pan once fits two at a time. Even though it was good, I don't think I'll be making this again.
I thought the sage was a bit overpowering, so I think I will rub some on the outside of the chicken next time instead of putting it in with the prosciutto. But otherwise very good.
My husband swears that the leftovers are better if you put the sauce on top and let it soak in. We liked this one!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >