Salted Soft Caramels Recipe
Velvety smooth homemade caramels have a sprinkling of kosher salt to create a sweet-salty sensation. Best of these caramels don't call for each to be wrapped in waxed paper or plastic wrap...a very tedious chore. The hot caramel is poured into miniature muffin liners instead.—Kathryn Conrad, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Smoked or kosher salt
- 1. Arrange 30 paper or foil candy cups on a baking sheet. Spritz each cup with cooking spray; set aside. In a small heavy saucepan, bring the cream, butter and salt to a boil; keep warm.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup; cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil; cook, without stirring, until mixture turns a golden amber color, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Gradually stir in the cream mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 247°.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Pour into prepared liners (do not scrape saucepan). Sprinkle with salt. Let stand until firm, about 2 hours. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 caramel equals 45 calories, 2 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC