- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound salted peanuts, ground
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Set aside 3/4 cup peanuts for topping. Stir remaining peanuts into batter. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the frosting, combine the flour and the milk in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely. In a bowl, cream the butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Add the cooled flour mixture and the vanilla; beat until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Spread over the cake; sprinkle with the reserved peanuts. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Salted Peanut Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p42
Reviews for Salted Peanut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review