- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups salsa verde, divided
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, thinly sliced green onions or fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine the chicken, sour cream and 3/4 cup salsa in a small bowl. Spread 1/4 cup salsa on the bottom of a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Layer with half of the tortillas and chicken mixture; sprinkle with the tomatoes, minced cilantro and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with remaining salsa and, if desired, optional toppings. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
"I made this tonight. Absolutely delicious! I cooked my own chicken breasts with a southwest seasoning but followed the recipe except I sprinkled some frozen corn on with the tomatoes and cilantro to add a little texture. I will certainly make this regularly only maybe adding a little more spice."
"I drained the salsa verde before I mixed it with the sour cream and chicken. I cut the tortillas into 2 in. strips. THIS WAS PERFECT! My fiance who is an inspiring chef, praised me for how delicious it was! I was very impressed that my picky 11 year old loved it as well!"
"Recipe came up on Facebook newsfeed so we decided to give it a try. The only variation in our dish was using 1 can of drained diced tomato(basil, oregano, garlic)since that is what we had. We also divided the tortillas into 1/4 as suggested by another reviewer. It was delicious and at the rate we are eating there will be nothing left."
"I really wanted to like this but it turned out to be a soupy (even though I cooked my own chicken beasts), tasteless mess. All you could taste was cilantro. I do not recommended this recipe!"
"If you like casserole with a different twist, this is a really delish and easy recipe. It tastes like enchillas-ish from those not-so-Mexican restaurants. But it works for us when we are looking for easy and delish weekday meals. I added jalape?os (since I am out of green chiles) this time. I also serve it with avocado to it."
"We love this recipe. It's one of our favorites -- fresh tasting and delicious. It's what I often make for friends who have had babies or just need a meal, and people always rave about it. More than one person has said it's hands down the best meal anyone made for them."
"Great! Family loved it."
"This was good--will make again, but with a milder salsa!!!"
"This was good. I used flour tortillas and cut them into 1/4. My family didn't rave about this recipe but they liked it."