"You can't beat this combination of sweet squash, zippy salsa and eye-catching orange color for a deliciously different and fun side dish," assures Marilyn Young of Riverside, Ohio.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place squash in
- a steamer basket over water. Reduce heat; cover and steam for 10-15
- minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter
- until tender. Stir in the salsa, salt and squash cubes. Spoon half
- of the mixture into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4
- cup of cheese. Top with the remaining squash mixture.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Uncover; top with
- remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 14 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1,200 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 8 g protein.