Salsa Squash Recipe
"You can't beat this combination of sweet squash, zippy salsa and eye-catching orange color for a deliciously different and fun side dish," assures Marilyn Young of Riverside, Ohio.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place squash in a steamer basket over water. Reduce heat; cover and steam for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the salsa, salt and squash cubes. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese. Top with the remaining squash mixture.
- 3. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Uncover; top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 14 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1,200 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC