Salsa Spaghetti Squash
If you want spaghetti, but are eating gluten-free or trying to keep a lid on carbs, there's always spaghetti squash as a flavorful alternative. Subtly sweet, tender and satisfying, this is one colorful dish. —Clara M. Coulson, Washington Court House, Ohio
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Place squash on a
- microwave-safe plate, cut side down. Microwave, uncovered, on high
- for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and
- stir onion over medium heat until tender. Stir in salsa, beans and
- cilantro; heat through. Gently stir in avocado; cook 1 minute
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands.
- Serve squash topped with salsa mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups spaghetti squash with 1 cup salsa mixture equals 308 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 822 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 8 g protein.