It's a snap to change the spice level in this popular rice side dish by choosing a milder or hotter salsa. "It's an easy accompaniment to burritos or tacos," suggests Molly Ingle of Canton, North Carolina.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chunky salsa
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- In a saucepan, bring water and salsa to a boil. Stir in rice. Remove
- from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese;
- cover and let stand for 30 seconds or until cheese is melted. Yield:
- 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with 1 cup reduced-fat cheese) equals 232 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 506 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.