Diane Harrison of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania up this quick side dish using canned kidney beans, brown rice and salsa. It's an ideal accompaniment to Mexican-style entrees but can also be served as a meatless main dish for a light meal. "This is a family favorite," relates Diane.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the rice, salsa, beans and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Salsa Red Beans N Rice in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p20