Grilled pizza is a snap when starting with frozen bread dough. This version with a Mexican twist features a fresh homemade salsa and chorizo, a highly seasoned, coarsely ground pork sausage.
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 pound chorizo, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the salsa ingredients; set aside.
- Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Lightly brush both sides of dough with oil; place on grill. Cover and grill over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.
- Remove from the grill. Top the grilled side of each pizza with 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup chorizo and 1/2 cup salsa. Return to the grill. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the bottom is browned and cheese is melted. Refrigerate remaining salsa. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Salsa Chorizo Pizzas in Backyard Living May/June 2006, p23
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Salsa Chorizo Pizzas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 18, 2011
"Absolutely loved these! A new favorite!"