Salsa Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, broth, water and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add corn; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and corn is tender. Add salsa and heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without cheese) equals 84 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 481 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat.