FISH of all kinds are meal-time mainstays for us in Nova Scotia, so my search for new and tasty ways to prepare fish never stops.
These lighter-than-air salmon patties are a favorite in my family and are especially good served with green beans and a tossed salad.
-Beverly Willis, Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 can (6 ounces) salmon, drained, bones and skin removed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the potatoes, salmon, onion, cracker crumbs,
- parsley, salt, pepper and egg yolk; mix well. Beat egg white until
- stiff peaks form; fold into salmon mixture.
- Shape into six patties. Heat oil in a large skillet; fry the patties
- over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
- Garnish with lemon if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 patties equals 425 calories, 27 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 156 mg cholesterol, 1,002 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon