Salmon Chowder Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, onion and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add salmon and bacon; cook over medium heat until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 2. Reduce heat; stir in the milk, cream, butter, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Thicken if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
1 cup: 199 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein
Reviews for Salmon Chowder
"This soup was delicious. I revised it a little bit to make it a bit healthier: I used turkey bacon and, like the other reviewer, I added it last. I also added Chipotle Chili Powder from Spice Islands to add some smokiness. Lastly, I added some chopped celery with the potatoes and onions.This recipe was very tasty, and light enough to do even in summertime (it isn't thick like clam chowder)."
"Very good soup. However, next time I will wait until the last minute to add the bacon so it doesn't get soggy."