Salmon Chowder Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, onion and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add salmon and bacon; cook over medium heat until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 2. Reduce heat; stir in the milk, cream, butter, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Thicken if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 199 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.