"SINCE pinto beans and mashed potatoes were our usual daily fare, salmon was a special treat on Sundays. We ate these cakes fast as Mama could fry themshe couldn't get them off the griddle fast enough."
3-4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, bones and skin removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, beat eggs. Stir in the cream, cornmeal, green
- onions, flour, baking powder, pepper and salt if desired. Flake
- salmon into bowl; blend gently.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Drop salmon mixture by 1/3 cupfuls into butter. Fry in batches for 5
- minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
- Yield: 3-4 servings (six patties).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 320 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 180 mg cholesterol, 654 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.