Salmon and Corn Chowder
Chowders and stew are my specialty, because I enjoy making use of the bounty at handespecially the wonderful variety of seafood from the cold waters of the North Atlantic, I devised this recipe years ago, and it remains one of my favorites. I often make it for my daughters and their families when they visit.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (16-1/2 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (16 ounces) salmon, drained, boned and flaked
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, celery, chicken
- broth, garlic, salt and marjoram. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and
- simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the cream, milk and butter. Combine flour and corn; stir into
- soup. Heat, but do not boil, until slightly thickened. Gently stir
- in salmon and heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 340 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 1,164 mg sodium,