We often have chili cook-offs at our church, so we trade lots of different recipes. I was always mixing and matching ingredients and experimenting, trying to come up with an original recipe that would be a little different. That's how I developed this one, and I never fail to get compliments on it! —Sally Grisham, Murray, Kentucky
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder, optional
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Brown beef in drippings. Add onions; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Return bacon to pan. Stir in the next 12 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- Add beans and heat through. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with cheddar cheese. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Sally's West Coast Chili in Country Extra November 1990, p45
Reviews for Sally's West Coast Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review