Sally Lunn Batter Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Stir the dough down. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 5. Combine the honey butter ingredients until smooth. Serve with bread. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 326 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Sally Lunn Batter Bread
"Can I substitute bread flour for all purpose flour?"
"Definitely a make-again. So easy to make and delicious."
"I'm going to make this today. I'll substitute the dry yeast (don't have any) with fresh active yeast. Hope it turns out well..."
"Very tasty! Mine started browning way too fast, so I just covered it with aluminum foil. Thanks for sharing!!"
"I have been making this family favorite for years. It is easy and delicious, makes fantastic toast. I prefer to bake it in two loaf pans so that it is easier to slice."
"I was worried as my first rise wasn't very pronounced, but I went ahead with it and gave it additional time on the 2nd. It baked quickly and tastes great. flaky crusty. Great with regular butter. I'd definitely try again and use fresher yeast just in case that was my problem!"
"Pretty good bread. With it being a slightly sweet bread, we liked it better with regular butter more than the honey butter."
"Sounds wonderful - has anybody tried to substitute and make gluten free? I'm new to gluten free but have to do it - if anybody has pls leave a comment!!! Thanks!!!"
"Love this bread! The directions were a little confusing, and for some reason the top of the bread got really brown but the middle didn't cook completely, but I think this was my own fault because I put it on a really high rack in the oven. But this bread is definitely now one of my absolute favorites! It's delicious! I didn't even make the honey butter, the bread tastes fantastic even without it! Definitely recommend this recipe!"
"Wonderful! Because there is only 2 of us, we couldn't finish it, but it made nice toast the next day (s) too."
"Will be making this easy bread again and again. I served this with the honey butter and it was loved by all. My husband hosted poker the night I made this bread. When I went to get another piece it was gone! Big hit with the guys. I have this pictured on my page. YUM!"
"This bread is great; and so easy to make with no kneading. Tastes best fresh from the oven."
"This is so good, can't stop eating it once it comes out of the oven. It's addicting."
"My family loved it! It was gone before the main course was served."
"i like this bread fairly well...i like it best fresh out of the oven with honey or just plain butter!"
"Very nice, mildly sweet bread. Great toasted!"