You’re sure to love this meaty entree, especially since it’s a cinch to prepare. Worcestershire sauce lends a nice tang to the dark brown gravy and the meat is so tender. Thanks to Carmen Edwards of Midland, Texas for sharing the recipe.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons uncooked instant rice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, rice, salt, pepper and egg white. Crumble beef over mixture and mix gently. Shape into two 4-1/2-in. x 2-in. oval patties.
- In a large skillet, brown patties in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside; drain drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook mushrooms in remaining oil until tender. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Return patties to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender and meat is no longer pink.
- Remove patties; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with patties. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Salisbury Steaks in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p27
Reviews for Salisbury Steaks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review