Looking for an easy way to turn Salisbury steak into something extra special? Dress up lean ground beef patties with this flavorful sauce from our Test Kitchen made with wine, shallots and mushrooms.
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons port wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, salt and pepper; shape into two oval patties. In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the wine, shallots and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Toss the mushrooms with flour; add to saucepan. Stir in the broth, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and rosemary. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Drain patties; serve with sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Salisbury Steak with Portobello Sauce in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p46
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Salisbury Steak with Portobello Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review