Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, liquid drained and reserved
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon bottled browning sauce
- SALISBURY STEAKS MIXTURE:
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup minced green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons minced chives or green onion tops
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter and saute onion until soft. Stir in flour and pepper; blend well. Add mushrooms and bouillon. Add reserved mushroom liquid and enough water to make 1-1/4 cups; stir and cook until thickened. Stir in browning sauce. Keep warm while preparing the Salisbury steaks.
- 2. In a skillet, saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in butter over low heat. Remove from heat and add to remaining ingredients; mix well. Shape into six patties, about 3/4-in. thick.
- 3. Place on a broiler rack. Broil about 7 minutes; turn and broil about 5 minutes longer or until cooked through. Serve with Mushroom Sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 335 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.