- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef gravy, divided
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole potatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup finely crushed gingersnaps
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a bowl, combine 1/3 cup gravy, bread crumbs, onion, lemon peel and ginger. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four loaves. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Drain fat. Arrange potatoes around loaves. Combine remaining gravy with gingersnaps, brown sugar and vinegar. Pour over meat and potatoes. Cover and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Salisbury Sauerbraten in Country Ground Beef 1993, p38
Reviews for Salisbury Sauerbraten
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 19, 2010
"Didn't like this much. The meat ended up with a strong lemony flavor which was weird. The gravy dried out too much too, and was too sweet. It was fairly easy, but I wouldn't bother with it again."