- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef gravy, divided
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole potatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup finely crushed gingersnaps
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a bowl, combine 1/3 cup gravy, bread crumbs, onion, lemon peel and ginger. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four loaves. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Drain fat. Arrange potatoes around loaves. Combine remaining gravy with gingersnaps, brown sugar and vinegar. Pour over meat and potatoes. Cover and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Salisbury Sauerbraten in Country Ground Beef 1993, p38
Reviews for Salisbury Sauerbraten
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 19, 2010
"Didn't like this much. The meat ended up with a strong lemony flavor which was weird. The gravy dried out too much too, and was too sweet. It was fairly easy, but I wouldn't bother with it again."