Salad with Oil-Free Dressing
"This dressing is a treat for anyone who likes a refreshing salad topper with a big herb flavor," remarks field editor Ellen Benninger of Stoneboro, Pennsylvania. "Even without oil, it's thick and satisfying."
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon powdered fruit pectin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried herb (oregano, basil, thyme, tarragon, savory or dill weed)
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salad greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots or vegetables of your choice
- In a small bowl, combine pectin, herb of choice, sugar substitute,
- mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in water, vinegar and garlic.
- Chill. Serve over greens and vegetables of your choice.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1/3 cup.
Nutritional Facts: One tablespoon of dressing equals 13 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Free Food.