This salad is my most-requested recipe. The dressing, eggs and almonds can be prepared ahead of time, so it can be made at the last minute.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- In a large saucepan, combine the oil, 1/2 cup sugar, vinegar, honey, lemon juice and seasonings; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool.
- In a small skillet over low heat, cook almonds and remaining sugar until nuts are glazed; cool.
- In a salad bowl, toss the romaine, cheese and almonds. Top with eggs. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftover dressing. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Salad with Honey-Mustard Dressing in Country Extra November 2000, p51
Reviews for Salad with Honey-Mustard Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 28, 2012
"My mom and I have both made this wonderful salad many,many times.My brother said it is the best salad ever."
Reviewed Apr. 7, 2010
"This is a wonderful salad! I like to add extra egg!"