- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 8 cups torn lettuce
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup quartered thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Italian salad dressing or dressing of your choice
- Divide bread dough into four equal portions; pat each into an 8-in. circle. Coat the outside of four 5-in. x 2-in. round ovenproof bowls with cooking spray. Place upside down on a baking sheet. Shape dough circles around bowls. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, combine lettuce, tomatoes, cauliflower, cucumber, celery and carrots; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Place 2-1/2 cups of lettuce mixture into each bread bowl. Top with 1/4 cup beef mixture. Serve with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Salad in a Bread Bowl in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p47
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Salad in a Bread Bowl
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2012
"I actually used just part of the recipe - the bread bowl portion - and used the bowls for stew. Great idea and easy to do!"