When I made salads in the past, I always served fresh-from-the-oven bread. Not this fun recipe combines these two great foods into one!
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 8 cups torn lettuce
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup quartered thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Italian salad dressing or dressing of your choice
- Divide bread dough into four equal portions; pat each into an 8-in. circle. Coat the outside of four 5-in. x 2-in. round ovenproof bowls with cooking spray. Place upside down on a baking sheet. Shape dough circles around bowls. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, combine lettuce, tomatoes, cauliflower, cucumber, celery and carrots; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Place 2-1/2 cups of lettuce mixture into each bread bowl. Top with 1/4 cup beef mixture. Serve with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Salad in a Bread Bowl in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p47
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Salad in a Bread Bowl
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2012
"I actually used just part of the recipe - the bread bowl portion - and used the bowls for stew. Great idea and easy to do!"