This recipe was inspired by Patricia Cornwall's detective novels, since the characters ate Sailor Sandwiches. I thought I could put a New England spin on them by combining these great ingredients. —Lesley Pew, Lynn, Massachusetts
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cod or haddock fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- CAESAR MAYO:
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 slices sweet onion
- Place milk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, cheese and seasonings. Dip fish in milk, then cornmeal mixture.
- Place on a greased broiler pan; drizzle with butter. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Combine the mayonnaise ingredients; spread over rolls. On roll bottoms, layer with fish, lettuce, tomato and onion. Replace tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sailor Sandwiches with Caesar Mayo in Taste of Home February/March 2009, p34
Reviews for Sailor Sandwiches with Caesar Mayo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review