Sage Turkey Thighs Recipe
I created this for my boys, who love dark meat. It's more convenient than cooking a whole turkey. It reminds me of our traditional Thanksgiving turkey and stuffing that's seasoned with sage. —Natalie Swanson of Catonsville, Maryland
- 4 medium carrots, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage, divided
- 2 turkey thighs or turkey drumsticks (2 pounds total), skin removed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, onion, water, garlic and 1 teaspoon sage. Top with turkey. Sprinkle with remaining sage. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°.
- 2. Remove turkey to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain broth, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan.
- 3. Place vegetables in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add to cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Add salt, pepper and, if desired, browning sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 4 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 277 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein Diabetic Exchanges:4 lean meat, 3 vegetable
Reviews for Sage Turkey Thighs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC