Sage Tea Bread
I grow my own sage just so I can bake this tasty bread. The incentive of a cup of tea served with a slice of this bread make my efforts worthwhile.Roberta Van Anda, Rumson, New Jersey
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and sage just until warm (do not
- boil); set aside to cool. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine
- flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture
- alternately with milk mixture.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 146 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 267 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.