Sage Sausage Dressing Recipe
Port is a sweet red wine that's often served as a dessert beverage, but it adds a deep flavor to our family's hearty stuffing. —Denise Hruz, Germantown, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:17 servings
- 1/4 cup port wine or 2 tablespoons grape juice plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 large tart apple, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring wine to a boil. Stir in cherries; remove from the heat. In a small bowl, combine apple and lemon juice; toss to coat. Set aside cherry and apple mixtures.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon; drain. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in oil until tender. Add the broth, orange juice and butter; heat until butter is melted.
- 3. Stir in the stuffing cubes, walnuts, sage, cherry mixture, apple mixture and sausage. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 17 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 258 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC