This is the best turkey stuffing you will ever eat, and I never have to worry about leftovers. —Betty Fulks, Onia, Arkansas
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups cubed corn bread
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, mix butter, sage and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Brush turkey with oil; sprinkle with salt and remaining pepper. Roast, uncovered, 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- For stuffing, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper; cook 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add corn bread and sage; toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, broth and cream; stir into stuffing mixture. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 165°.
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 16 servings (8 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Sage-Roasted Turkey & Corn Bread Stuffing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sage-Roasted Turkey & Corn Bread Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review