Sage Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons rubbed dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 medium red potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut in half
- 3 to 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on both sides in oil. Season with sage, salt if desired, and pepper. Add beef broth. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours.
- 2. Add potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender and vegetables are cooked. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3. Combine water and cornstarch; stir into pan juices. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Serve with the roast. Yield: 12 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with low-sodium beef broth and without added salt) equals 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 301 calories, 59 mg sodium, 82 mg cholesterol, 16 gm carbohydrate, 27 gm protein, 14 gm fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.