- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons rubbed dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 medium red potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut in half
- 3 to 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on both sides in oil. Season with sage, salt if desired, and pepper. Add beef broth. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender and vegetables are cooked. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Combine water and cornstarch; stir into pan juices. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Serve with the roast. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sage Pot Roast(2)
Sort By :
My family really enjoyed this dish, especially my son-in-law. They already asked for it again. It'a a keeper.
This recipe is consistently delicious! The meat is melt-in-your-mouth tender. I skip the salt, but add garlic powder. I make it without the vegetables, and bake it for a total of 3-1/2 hours.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Sodium Dinner Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >