Sage Polenta Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in water and milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Gradually whisk in cornmeal, whisking constantly to prevent lumping. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cornmeal is tender.
- 2. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, sage, salt and pepper. Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes or until firm.
- 3. Cut into 12 squares. In a large nonstick skillet, cook polenta in batches in oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 143 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Sage Polenta
"Wow, what a great way to use up extra sage. Like the recipe said, make sure there are no lumps--yuck. Otherwise it turned out well."