Sage Onion Quiche Recipe
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; drain. Stir in sage and thyme. Spoon into pastry shell. Sprinkle with cheese. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over cheese.
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled quiche in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap quiche; reheat in oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 302 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.