- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat meat mixture into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg; spread over top. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sage Meat Loaf
"Very tasty ..."
"Only one of four diners didn't like it. He didn't like the sage in meatloaf. It was a good texture and seasoning, and the sauce was good."
"While this is a pretty good meat loaf, I'm giving my 5 stars to the sauce. There are only two of us, but I usually triple or quadruple the sauce recipe to use as a spread on meat loaf sandwiches."
"It came out of the pan very easily. It tasted very good even though ran out of sage so i used basil instead....."
"It was okay but not awesome"
"This made a nice flavorful moist meatloaf. I did find it stuck to the pan though so next time I will grease the pan. We did not add the topping because we don't like the sweet ketchup type toppings...we just left our plain, although next time I just might have to try the gravy suggestion another reviewer mentioned. Thanks TOH, for another great homestyle recipe!"
"Consider this my best recipe!"
"awesome recipe! we loved it! only thing I added was garlic!"
"Whenever I make meatloaf I use celery salt in place of the regular salt. This gave this recipe the seasoning I felt it needed. Will certainly make it again!"